3D scanners are powerful tools with many applications ranging from dimensional inspection to reverse engineering. Typically, 3D scanners are used to create a 3D representation of the geometry of a complex part. Initially the part geometry may be represented by thousands or millions of individual points. These points can then be used to reconstruct a model of the part.
Many of our projects at Hill Engineering benefit from 3D scanning technology. In addition, Hill Engineering offers 3D scanning services for others on a fee-for-service basis. Some typical applications that require the use of a 3D scanner include:
• Quality assurance inspection: checking the geometry of manufactured parts to ensure consistency with drawing requirements
• Reverse engineering: generating a CAD model of a physical object for use in future design or manufacturing
• Machining distortion: evaluating the effects of different machining and manufacturing processes on the final machined shape of parts
• Engineered residual stress: evaluating the effects of residual stress surface treatments on the deformation of parts
At Hill Engineering we use a Nikon ModelMaker H120 3D scanner. The cutting-edge ModelMaker H120 incorporates blue laser technology, ultra-fast frame rate, specially developed Nikon optics and the ability to measure the most challenging materials. The following is a summary of the system specifications:
• Measuring range: 78.75 inches (2.0 m)
• Measurement accuracy: 0.0011 inches (0.028 mm)
• Minimum resolution: 0.0014 inches (0.035 mm)
The illustrations below show example 3D scans that illustrate the capability of the Nikon ModelMaker H120 3D scanner. The first example shows an image taken from a 3D scan of a cordless drill. The second example shows a comparison between a scan of a new computer mouse and a used computer mouse. The colors show the regions of wear from continued use (red is worn).
Inspecting your parts using state-of-the-art 3D laser scanners provides the geometric insight needed to take the right engineering and quality assurance decisions. Hill Engineering’s in-house 3D scanning services provides a fast and reliable solution to meet your 3D scanning needs. Results are supplied in the form of easy-to-interpret graphic reports, complemented with complete measurement datasets. Please contact us with additional questions about 3D scanning services.